I. ORGANIZATION CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) gathers and analyze data to disseminate critical multi layered information on the mobility, vulnerabilities, and needs of displaced and mobile populations that enables decision makers and responders to provide these populations with better context specific assistance.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, and the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator, the successful candidate will be be responsible for assisting the global data management activities in the cleaning, refinement and quality assurance of databases as part of the DTM’s information management tool.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Provide technical support in the collection and tabulation of DTM data and other information management activities (such as improvement of Central Data Warehouse, editing survey templates and data processing) at global or field level as required.
- Research, analyze and evaluate new applications related to information systems, to new technologies and processes to manage information in response to disasters and/or complex emergencies and make recommendations for their utilization.
- Assist in the drafting and validation of standard operating procedures for DTM data collection and management.
- Assist in the implementation of quality assurance system based on best practice for data quality control as implemented by DTM operations worldwide.
- Support in the implementation of data governance and data protection mechanisms in DTM operations at the global level and in the field as required.
- Develop and improve ODK and Kobo forms for survey templates.
- Prepare tabulations for technical reports, information bulletins and other relevant information products related to displacement and migration flows, such as statistical analysis and interpretation of results of assessments and surveys.
- Assist in data entry, database use and troubleshooting.
- Support in developing and implementing database queries as required.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
III. REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
University degree in Computer Science, Demographics or an Information Management related discipline, or alternatively, an equivalent combination of related education and professional experience. Excellent knowledge of databases management, querying, quality assurance and control systems. Additional work experience is an advantage.
Experience in the development, refinement and implementation of population database systems (such as registrations, census or surveys) is an advantage.
- Required advanced proficiency of Microsoft Excel, Googledocs suite and SQL.
- Valued proficiency in using two or more of the following tools: XLSforms for ODK and Kobo, Access, Python, Stata, R.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Required: Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral).
Advantegeous: Working knowledge of French, Spanish or other UN language is an advantage.
VI. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
- Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname, adding portfolio/example of work) to firstname.lastname@example.org adding DTM Data Management Support Intern Geneva in the subject line, no later than Sunday 12th December 2021.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and incomplete applications will not be considered