Senior Database Assistant
Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Data Hub Coordinator, and the direct supervision of the Regional Displacement Tracking Matrix Coordinator, the Senior Database Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Design solutions to integrate, centralize and automate data and information management within the program for enhanced achievement of displacement related data.
2. Identify, develop, implement, test, and support technology solutions for Information Management and database system for DTM department.
3. Developing data collection tools using but not limited to, the KOBO set of tools.
4. Design and develop SQL databases, queries, functions, scripts and stored procedures to process data.
5. Support in developing the current DTM web application portal and other applications as per program needs.
6. Provide technical support to the emergency tracking component and develop the required data collections and database applications.
7. Ensure the effective use of the designated information system, including DTM portal and application tools, and other databases to manage the implementation of information management mechanism.
8. Assist in the supervision of data management activities including the collection, submission, quality control and data retrieval mechanisms.
9. Ensure timely preparation and generation of local level information products, and support on information sharing and dissemination to all relevant channels.
10. Support the research and analysis team in processing, querying and reporting data.
11. Prepare and develop analytical tools and reports for displacement trends, needs assessments and programme activities using the programme’s various databases.
12. Develop and implement proper backup / restore, data validation and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability.
13. Support in designing reports and other products using graphic design tools and map GIS with other data as per required standards.
14. Conducting data validation and cross-checking activities to improve the quality of produced data.
15. Provide user support and the system training to the staff on Kobo or any other data collection applications.
16. Visit field offices to provide technical support to the usage of information and database systems.
17. Perform such other duties as maybe required.
Required Qualifications and Experience Education
1. University Degree in computer science or a related field with six years of relevant work experience.
1. Experience in managing data collection, entry and maintenance;
2. Working experience in development and management of database information systems using SQL Server and MS Access.
3. Minimum two years of experience in programming with C# and ASP.NET.
4. Minimum one year of experience in developing and maintaining data system with KoBo Toolbox/ODK or other mobile data collection tools.
5. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
6. Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Fluent written and spoken English. Knowledge of French is Advantageous.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
• Accountability- Accepts and gives constructive criticism
• Client Orientation- Identifies the immediate and peripheral clients of own work
• Continuous Learning- Contributes to colleagues' learning
• Communication - Actively shares relevant information
• Creativity and Initiative - Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation - Convinces others to share resources
• Performance Management - Provides constructive feedback to colleagues
• Planning and Organizing - Sets clear and achievable goals consistent with agreed priorities for self and others
• Professionalism - Masters subject matter related to responsibilities
• Teamwork - Actively contributes to an effective, collegial, and agreeable team environment
• Technological Awareness - Learns about developments in available technology
• Resource Mobilization - Establishes realistic resource requirements to meet IOM needs.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply: Submit cover letter and CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to: International Organization for Migration (IOM), RO Human Resources Department, send via e-mail to email@example.com