I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has been IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and evolving needs of displaced populations since 2004. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last four years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. As of the end of 2015, DTM was active in 22 countries, tracking and monitoring over 14 million IDPs.
The DTM Support Team, based in headquarters, assembles expertise in operations and coordination, methodology and concept development, mapping and Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, database and application system development, and data and information management. The support team has been critical in providing remote and onsite support to DTM field implementation. The team provides a full range of support from the initial development and setup to continuous support on operations, staff deployment, data management, mapping, database systems, and development of information products. At the global level, the team is also striving to enhance the DTM by working on a multitude of initiatives exploring further integration of innovative technologies, improving capacity building components, and designing more streamlined processes.
Under the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator and direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the activities and services provided by DTM support team in headquarters for DTM implementation in the field worldwide, in particular to support further development and implementation of DTM global web application platforms and information systems.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
1. Design and implement scalable system for report indexing and full text searching capabilities on DTM websites and other application systems as needed.
2. Integrate indexing framework with existing web applications through the use of REST API and any other required system interface as per the overall system design.
3. Support in documentation of corresponding workflow and process related to system development, deployment, and implementation.
4. Assist with the design, development, and maintenance of the global DTM websites and platforms.
5. Support and liaise with relevant DTM staff in the field to identify and design corresponding user interface requirements, workflows, and functionalities in relation to further development of DTM web application systems. This includes assisting in creating wireframes, storyboards and prototypes to propose options for implementation as required.
6. Support in other data and database management related tasks as required.
7. Provide technical support to DTM field implementation in identification of relevant solutions and requirements to web-based application needs in the field.
8. Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and application adhere to IOM Data Protection Policy and Information Technology and Communication (ITC) Policies and Standards, including on system and data security.
9. Perform such duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
Personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; displays awareness of relevant technological solutions. Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services.
• Expert knowledge of C#, ASP .NET framework, Java, PHP and C#
• Strong expertise and experience in Apache Lucene, Solr and any other rich document indexing and full text searching frameworks
• Expertise in Content management system(CMS) mainly Drupal, WordPress and other related platforms
• Experience in NoSQL database implementation
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• University degree in computer science or related field
• A deep understanding and experience in rich document indexing and advanced full text search implementation
Advantageous: Knowledge of additional UN language
VI. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
a) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
b) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
c) Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to firstname.lastname@example.org adding DTM Web Development Paid Internship (Geneva) in the subject line, no later than Thursday 28th February.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and incomplete applications or submitted in more than one file (CV+cover letter in PDF format) will not be considered