DTM Project and Reporting Support - Paid Internship
I. Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has been IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and evolving needs of displaced populations since 2004. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last four years, including in all Level 3 emergencies.
The DTM Support Team, based in headquarters, assembles expertise in operations and coordination, methodology and concept development, mapping and Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, database and application system development, and data and information management. The support team has been critical in providing remote and onsite support to DTM field implementation. The team provides a full range of support from the initial development and setup to continuous support on operations, staff deployment, data management, mapping, database systems, and development of information products. At the global level, the team is also striving to enhance the DTM by working on a multitude of initiatives exploring further integration of innovative technologies, improving capacity building components, and designing more streamlined processes.
Under the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator and direct supervision of the Senior Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) Coordination Manager, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the activities and services provided by DTM support team in headquarters for DTM implementation in the field worldwide.
II. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Assist in writing and proofreading DTM documents and reports including but not limited to analytical and statistical reports, displacement profiles, weekly newsletter, monthly compilation, etc.
- Support the analysis of DTM data and the production of reports at global, regional and country levels
- Support the development of DTM websites including report uploading, data cleaning and storage processes.
- Liaise with IOM’s field colleagues and partners on relevant DTM issues, tools and initiatives in coordination with the DTM global support team.
- Support DTM capacities building initiatives including but not limited to DTM global training, data management workshop, etc.
- Assist in project development tasks, including proposal drafting and project reporting of DTM projects in close collaboration with relevant IOM department/units.
- Attend meetings and event on behalf of DTM and follow-up on meetings' action points.
- Provide administrative and logistical support when needed.
- Assist with the translation of a variety of documents, when needed.
- Perform such other duties and travels as may be assigned.
Strong and demonstrable interest in migration and/or humanitarian issues; Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports; personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; good level of computer literacy.
IV. Education and Experience
Advanced degree from an accredited academic institution in a field of study related to migration or other relevant social sciences (e.g. humanitarian affairs, development studies, political science, international relations or a related field), or the equivalent combination of humanitarian work experience in a related area.
Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral) and either French or Spanish. Knowledge of another UN language an advantage.
Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
a) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
b) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
c) Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to firstname.lastname@example.org adding DTM Project and Reporting Support Paid Internship in the subject line, no later than Wednesday 20th February.