DTM GIS - Paid Internship
I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
- Support Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) workflow including data collection, management, analysis and visualization through the provision of appropriate GIS/mapping tools and products.
- Provide regular remote support to regional and country missions including production of different types of static maps such as atlas catalogues.
- Support developing online interactive maps and web applications using different suites of licensed and open source tools.
- Provide input for demographic and geographic boundary information for various IOM databases for emergency response and DTM implementation.
- Support developing, testing and deployment of standardized geodatabases for different DTM components and common operational datasets (CODs).
- Support enterprise data warehouse solution and ensure smooth dataflow from data warehouse to GIS solutions in cooperation with data management team.
- Maintain current information management systems for global and regional data repositories.
- Support in the data collection processes, query, analysis and the overall data management activities to ensure the common spatial data standards and structures are applied and data are managed properly throughout the data management cycle.
- Preparation of standard operating procedures (SOPs) on spatial data infrastructure and geodatabases developed to ensure sustainability.
- Support and provide technical and strategic inputs into ongoing information management for external initiatives and partnerships.
- Assist in administration of global licenses pool for desktop and online applications as well as regular monitoring and maintenance of geoserver. deployments
- Support development and maintain adherence to design standards for cartographic products in order to unify global, regional, country DTM outputs.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- University degree in information systems, geography, cartography or a related field with concentration in technology applications; one year of relevant professional experience is desirable.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS desktop, server, and online mapping in addition to any other open source GIS software;
- Experience in cartography and graphic design using Adobe Suite applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.);
- Experience in Database Information Systems development (SQL and Postgres), preferably in geographic data management and query builders;
- Experience in programming using one or more of the following languages: Python or Java.
- Knowledge of assessment and data collection apps (KOBO or ODK);
VI. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
a) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
b) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
c) Have graduated with a university degree (as defined in (a) or (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
HOW TO APPLYInterested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname, adding portfolio/example of work) to email@example.com adding DTM GIS (Geneva) in the subject line, no later than Saturday 31st August.NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and incomplete applications or submitted in more than one file (CV+cover letter in PDF format) will not be considered