I. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) has been IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and evolving needs of displaced populations since 2004. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last four years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. As of the end of 2015, DTM was active in 22 countries, tracking and monitoring over 14 million IDPs.
The DTM Support Team, based in headquarters, assembles expertise in operations and coordination, methodology and concept development, mapping and Geographic Information Systems, statistical analysis, database and application system development, and data and information management. The support team has been critical in providing remote and onsite support to DTM field implementation. The team provides a full range of support from the initial development and setup to continuous support on operations, staff deployment, data management, mapping, database systems, and development of information products. At the global level, the team is also striving to enhance the DTM by working on a multitude of initiatives exploring further integration of innovative technologies, improving capacity building components, and designing more streamlined processes.
Under the overall supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator and direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, the incumbent will be responsible and accountable for providing support to the activities and services provided by DTM support team in headquarters for DTM implementation in the field worldwide, in particular to support development and implementation of supplementary and interoperable systems for quality assurance and further improvement of global DTM data and analysis.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities will include the following tasks:
- Support in ensuring timely and accurate collection and databased storage. This includes hands on coding ensuring data collected is proofed to source, handling daily exceptions (changes to source data, process errors, verifying suspect data), applying industry standard methodologies, and tracking to operational metrics.
- Support in analyzing new assignments, developing scripts and tests to validate data, handling change requests and providing quick and efficient solutions to data sourcing issues.
- Support in building requirements, metadata, backup procedures, and process documentation, and overall management of dataset addition process.
- Works with various parts of the global DTM Support team to ensure that content is delivered on-time, regardless of system issues, and that the format and structure supports the operational requirements.
- Support in following up on exceptions and outliers associated with specific datasets. This may include via industry contacts, 3rd party verification, additional research, and modelling or related analyses.
- Support to formulate and maintain KPI for data quality, time management, and cost monitoring associated to be used across various parts of the global DTM Support team.
- Support on development of data queries for internal use as require, as well as one-time data pulls from database as requested.
- Ensure that the implementation of the information management systems and application adhere to IOM Data Protection Policy and Information Technology and Communication (ITC) Policies and Standards, including on system and data security.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following technical and behavioural competencies
Personal commitment, drive for results, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; displays awareness of relevant technological solutions. Actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services.
- Strong SQL developer skills. Proficiency in Python 3 (preferable) or any other multi-purpose programming language.
- Capability to transform ideas into algorithms and programming code/apps.
- Excitement and interest in for spatio-temporal data and their relation with Big Data technologies, with an eagerness to jump in on day one.
IV. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Pursuing degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Analytics or related field; with relevant professional experience is an advantage.
- Experience in compiling, collecting, and analyzing data from different sources, structured and unstructured. Experience with Natural Language Processing and Sentiment Analysis is a plus.
Advantageous: Knowledge of additional UN language
VI. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Applicants to the IOM internship programme must, at the time of application, meet one of the following requirements:
a) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
b) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
c) Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year of graduation.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in PDF format and only one file with your name and surname) to firstname.lastname@example.org adding
DTM Data Scientist (Quality Control) Intern in the subject line, no later than Friday 8th February.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and incomplete applications or submitted in more than one file (CV+cover letter in PDF format) will not be considered