DTM Analytics, Knowledge and Output Quality Intern / Paid Internship - London (Geographic Focus: Europe)
Organizational Context and Scope
Since 2004 the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) is IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and the evolving needs of displaced populations. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last five years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. During 2016, DTM has been active in over 40 countries. To coordinate and support operations implemented by approximately 2,200 staff, the global DTM support team is comprised of 40 specialists across nine locations (Geneva, London, Bangkok, Nairobi, Dakar, Cairo, Vienna and The Hague). Since its inception the global support team includes, on average, 50% female and 50% male staff as well as a diverse range of nationalities.
Global DTM support is organized within the following units: Global System Management (GSM); Project and Operations Support (POS); Operations and Methodological Framework (OMF); Data Systems and Centralization (DSC); Data Management, Verification and Procedures (MVP); Digital Content Management (DCM); Analytics, Knowledge and Output Quality (AKO); Data Models and Learning (DML); DTM and Data Partnerships (DDP); Geospatial Analytics (GSA); Data Initiated Operations (DIO); and Humanitarian and Development Solutions (HDS).
Located in the IOM London office under direct supervision of the Regional DTM Coordinator (Vienna) and the overall/daily supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator (London), the successful candidate will integrate with the AKO unit.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Common to AKO unit, with geographic focus: Europe
- Provide support with compilation, analysis and reporting of/on DTM flow data as well as with DTM documents requiring remote assistance, as tasked by DTM Vienna;
- Support in conceptualizing capacity building initiatives including but not limited to DTM trainings, webinars and data management workshop, etc.;
- Facilitate the organization of webinars in support of DTM Vienna to ensure regular internal and external updates on human mobility trends, changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility in Europe;
- Support the DTM activities in relation to the Europe Regional Information Management Working Group including, but not limited to, collection, processing and provision of data on human mobility trends changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility, including children in Europe;
- If necessary, to provide updates on human mobility trends, changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility in Europe;
- Assist DTM Europe in the production and quality control of documents and reports;
- Coordinate with other units of the global DTM support team also in contact with DTM Vienna to ensure continuity of functional workflows;
- Attend meetings and event on behalf of DTM Vienna and follow-up on meetings' action points.
- Update the DOE project tracking data base and record any changes in the on-going and projects under development (end-start dates, budget change, no-cost extension, re-endorsements etc.).
Thematic focus: interagency cooperation and coordination
- Support the Regional Information Management Working Group in mapping information gaps on migrant flows to and migrants’ presence in Europe and suggest relevant data collection efforts to address them.
- Support compilation of pertinent data and production of joint thematic reports within the Regional Information Management Working Group
- Assist in mapping information management coordination mechanisms at country level and propose activities for their support and enforcement, to the extent possible.
- Suggest monitoring mechanisms for use of the joint products.
- Support in setting up the meeting agenda and follow up on agreed action points.
- Suggest possibilities for expanding the participation in the working group, including by representatives of academia and private sector.
- Update the conducted Assessments and Report Registry.
- Provide administrative and logistical support when needed.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Accountability; Client Orientation; Continuous Learning; Communication; Creativity and Initiative; Planning and Organizing; Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter; Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation; Technological Awareness.
Strong and demonstrable interest in migration and/or humanitarian issues; excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports; personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; good level of computer literacy. Advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerBI or similar analytical and data visualization tools. Experience in working with Adobe Package for reporting purposes is an advantage.
Strong and demonstrable interest in migration and/or humanitarian issues; Excellent research, writing, communication and analytical skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports; personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines; good level of computer literacy.
Education and Experience
Completed advanced degree from an accredited academic institution in a field of study related to migration or other relevant social sciences (e.g. humanitarian affairs, development studies, political science, international relations or a related field), or the equivalent combination of humanitarian work experience in a related area. Completion of advanced degree in September 2018 can be accepted.
Required -Excellent communication skills in English (written and oral)
Advantegous - Knowledge of another UN language
How to apply
Interested candidates must submit updated CV and cover letter (in one document-PDF format) to email@example.com, adding AKO London (Europe) in the subject line, no later than Saturday, July 14th.
NOTE: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.