DTM Analytics, Knowledge And Output Quality Intern – Mozambique Flood Response (Paid Internship in London)
I. Organizational Context and Scope
Since 2004 the Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) is IOM’s main operational tool for tracking and monitoring the movements and the evolving needs of displaced populations. It has been systematically deployed in medium to large-scale humanitarian response operations in the last five years, including in all Level 3 emergencies. During 2016, DTM has been active in over 40 countries. To coordinate and support operations implemented by approximately 2,200 staff, the global DTM support team is comprised of 40 specialists across eight locations (Geneva, London, Bangkok, Nairobi, Dakar, Cairo, Vienna and The Hague). Since its inception the global support team includes, on average, 50% female and 50% male staff as well as a diverse range of nationalities.
Global DTM support is organized within the following units: Global System Management (GSM); Project and Operations Support (POS); Operations and Methodological Framework (OMF); Data Systems and Centralization (DSC); Data Management, Verification and Procedures (MVP); Digital Content Management (DCM); Analytics, Knowledge and Output Quality (AKO); Data Models and Learning (DML); DTM and Data Partnerships (DDP); Geospatial Analytics (GSA); Data Initiated Operations (DIO); and Humanitarian and Development Solutions (HDS).
Located in the IOM London office, under the direct supervision of the Mozambique DTM Coordinator (Maputo), the thematic supervision of the DTM Operations team (Geneva) and the overall/daily supervision of the Global DTM Coordinator (London), the successful candidate will integrate the AKO unit.
II. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Common to AKO unit, with geographic focus: Mozambique
- Provide support in analysis and interpretation of DTM data as well as in DTM documents requiring remote assistance, as tasked by DTM Mozambique;
- Compile news reports & information updates from reliable sources to support as secondary data sources for information management (IM) and GIS mapping products
- Support with data cleaning and other data management tasks
- Support on the development of survey compilation in-conjunction with the DTM Mozambique and Global Operations team.
- Translate DTM training guides and questionnaires from English to Portuguese, and provide translation support on the publication of DTM products for external dissemination
- Facilitate the organization of webinars in support of DTM Mozambique to ensure regular internal and external updates on human mobility trends, changes and any other significant observations surrounding human mobility in Mozambique;
- Assist DTM Mozambique in the production and quality control of documents;
- Coordinate with other units of the global DTM support team also in contact with DTM Mozambique in order to ensure continuity of functional workflows;
Provide administrative and logistical support when needed.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies: Excellent quantitative analytical capacities, strong research, writing, and communication skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
Strong and demonstrable interest in migration and/or humanitarian issues; personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility; ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team and with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds under tight deadlines.
IV. Education and Experience
Advanced degree from an accredited academic institution in a field of study related to international development, earth sciences, econometrics, or other relevant disciplines where data analysis was a core component.
Excellent communication skills in Portuguese (written and oral) & English (written and oral)
Knowledge of another UN language